Thursday, March 17, 2016

TOM ORSI


I was saddened when I woke up this morning and learned of Jack’s passing, and I have naturally spent much of the day reflecting on my memories of Jack. I have many, but I’ll share two. One reflects Jack’s drive and intensity as he crusaded for his products, and the other reflects just how good his products were based on the creativity that he brought to the process.

The first memory came from my days as a sales manager in the South. One year I spent a lot of time in the spring working the Florida territory, because it had very early decisions, and the rep needed help.  I spent one week in Gainesville, working at the University of Florida. This was before email, voice mail, and cell phones. I returned to my hotel late one night, and the message light was flashing. It was a message to call Jack at ANY hour so he could give me my marching orders for my visit to the Biology Department. Jack knew EVERYONE, and had a strategy for each person. I decided it was too late to call (for ME, not necessarily for Jack, who was in Southern California that week), and that I would call him in the morning. I left for campus early (at about 7) so I could gather some information. I waited until 9:00, thinking that I didn’t need to call Jack before 6 his time. When I called, Jack picked up the phone, sounding groggy because I had awakened him. Since Jack had a reputation for calling people at strange hours, waking them up, I was THRILLED that I would have a story to tell people about waking Jack up. I took my marching orders (which were spot on) and completed my calls for the day.  When I returned to the hotel there was a message waiting for me. Jack had called at 7:15
 that morning (his time), after I left. I may have wakened him at 6, but it was only because he had dozed off after trying to reach me.

The second memory is from years later. I was no longer in sales. I was in Information Systems.  I was at the National Sales Meeting and decided to sit in on a product presentation. Naturally I chose Jack’s because I could always learn something from him. It had been years since I had been on a sales call, but after Jack’s presentation that day I was convinced I could easily do two things.  First, I could go on campus and sell the package he presented. It had EVERYTHING, and much of what it had was new to the market. Second, and even more remarkable, I was convinced I could go on campus and teach a General Biology course with his package even though it had been at least 35 years since I last studied Biology.  

Jack was quite a publisher. He left his imprint on everything and everybody. I was sorry when he retired, and now I’m sorry that we have lost him.

Photo of the General who gave me my marching orders in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment