Thursday, March 17, 2016

MELINDA DUTTON, CENGAGE LEARNING

I met Jack in 1998 as a new rep for International Thomson Publishing, representing the Wadsworth biology and environmental science lists. I soon learned that Jack was a force of nature. Working campus with him was like running a marathon. He never stopped for lunch. He carried granola bars in his bag. He told me “if you don’t stop for lunch, think of all the profs you can see while your competitors are eating!” We went on a sales blitz one spring – 5 campuses in 3 days, and came away with 5 takeaway adoptions. It was easiest to introduce him (if the prof hadn’t already met him) and then just cut him loose. His questioning skills were amazing. He knew all the current research, but most of all, he knew what professors wanted and needed, and he gave it to them! He was the first to offer transparencies, the first to do the Instructor CD-rom. He was relentless. I always learned something when I worked with Jack, and I still use those questions today. RIP Jack Carey. You were one of a kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment