Thursday, March 17, 2016

GARY WHALEN, CENGAGE LEARNING

I first met Jack over 20 years ago.  Once upon a time he asked me to join him in his biology presentations at our January national sales meeting. He told me he liked my style of showing software, and he had a new biology CD-ROM he wanted to show. I told him I would. Little did I know . . . Weeks prior to the sales meeting he would call to discuss what we’d do and how I would organize my part of the presentation. I explained everything, at least I thought I did. But days later he’d call back and want to discuss it again. He even called me late afternoon on Christmas Eve to go over things one more time. But I didn’t mind. That was Jack.

Around the time he retired he and I had a nice chat at the Belmont, CA office. He wished me well and gave me some advice that I never forgot and have always adhered to: He looked me in the eye (as only Jack could look you in the eye) and told me, “Be really knowledgeable about one thing.” Know more about it than anyone else. Be the best at it.

Jack was one of the best at what he did.  

RIP, Jack.

My best,
Gary Whalen

No comments:

Post a Comment