Thursday, March 17, 2016

PEGGY HOPP

Cecie: 

I am so sorry for your loss of the love of your life. I never knew any of this stuff about Jack because I only really knew the driven work Jack until Al Hansen's passing. After I wrote my memories of Al, Jack sent me an email to personally thank me, because he loved Big Al as much as I did. So, we began a short correspondence where we both learned more about each other. I am in the process of digging up those old emails and will post them when I can. I did see him cut a rug on occasion, so I know he was a good dancer. And I have one funny story to relate. My department always worked Starr/Taggart rollovers to new editions. We kept a good supply on hand and inventoried them to make sure we had enough. A personal letter with a book enclosed goes a long way to secure an adoption. Well, we would come in on a Monday and our entire inventory would be gone. Now, who would take them? Could it be Jack Carey? So, I started hiding the books and you had to go through me to get them. Jack sidled up to me one day and asked if I had any Starr/Taggarts. I said, "Well, I do, Jack, but I'm going to have to ask you to go down the hall by Shirley's desk and I'll bring it to you, because someone was taking them from us without signing them out so we could reorder". He laughed and said "You're a smart girl." Then he went down the hall and I took him the book. It turns out Jack and I have a few things in common, as you'll see when I post our correspondence. And, from reading your loving tribute, I see that he picked strawberries for a jelly factory. I did too, but I think I ate more than my fair share. When we lived in Bellingham, my mom would put my sister and me on a bus with a sack lunch to the strawberry fields. One summer my very industrious sister made $20. Me? $11. $.25 per crate we were paid. I wish I had gotten to know Jack better when we worked together, and I'm glad I got a glimpse of the real Jack. My thoughts are with you at this very painful time. 


Sincerely, 
Peggy Hopp

No comments:

Post a Comment